Read the Write Book is dedicated to supporting Indie Authors from around the world, by offering to sell publications on consignment with a maximum return for the author.

What is an Indie Author?

'Indie' stands for Independent. An Indie Author is someone who has self-published their own written material and remains in control of their own publishing rights.

What is Consignment and how does it work?

Consignment is an agreement between an author and bookstore, in which published works are left with the bookstore for an agreed period of time, for them to sell on behalf of the author. Authors are then paid for any copies sold and the remaining unsold stock is returned to the author.

Consignment terms and conditions

Read the Write Book will consider selling books with professional production quality, proofreading and marketing; professional cover design and page layout, a UPC code, an ISBN and a spine with author and title.

While Read the Write Book does not charge an administrative or yearly fee to have books displayed in store, it is the author's responsibility to cover the costs of shipping their books to the stores P.O. Box, located in Western Australia. Any books not sold within the agreed time period will be the responsibility of the author to arrange shipping costs back to them.

The author is in control of setting the listing price of their consigned books, subject to approval by Read the Write Book. Read the Write Book reserves the right to offer any books at a discount, as part of our frequent buyer's program or any other promotion, at our discretion, provided that the discount value remains within the pricing limits set by the author. The price paid at register, including any discounts, is the 'sale price'.

On any sale of the consigned books, the author will receive 60% of the sale profit and Read the Write Book will keep the remaining 40%.

Consignment payments will be sent to the author on a monthly basis, once an invoice has been provided. An invoice request will be sent to the author with details of book sales and prices. If a book sale is above the authors minimum sale amount, the author will be paid accordingly.

The consignment contract will be reviewed every six months, at which time Read the Write Book will evaluate the sales of the consigned works and decide whether or not to renew the agreement for a further six month period.

If a consignment agreement is not renewed, the author has two weeks to arrange return of the remaining books to them at the authors expense. If the books have not been claimed within 30 days after the expiration of the consignment agreement, they become the property of Read the Write Book.

Read the Write Book is not responsible for losses due to theft, wear and tear, or for lost, stolen or damaged property during transit between Read the Write Book and the author.

Prospective consignment authors must complete the application form in order to have their work considered for consignment. Applications will be considered on a monthly basis. A separate application form is required for each title. 

Consignment application